Friday, February 20, 2009

Trust (Do you trust him)


Since this past Sunday I've been thinking about the word Trust. Trust is an invisible tangible item given to another person or thing with an expectation of a desired result. We put our trust in our family, friends, jobs, cars, money, boyfriends, girlfriends, government, the weather man, God, pets, and much more. We give our trust so freely to so many things, often expecting to receive much more than the trust we gave.


Merriam Webster defines Trust as: 1. a: assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something b: one in which confidence is placed 2 a: dependence on something future or contingent : hope


Too many times have we put our trust in someone based on a belief, past performance of, or perceived intention. We put our trust in our parents expecting without fail for them to be there no matter what, to help us out no matter what, but then you go to them and they say no to something we ask or deny you a withdrawal from mommy's and daddy's sometimes deep but short pockets, we get mad. Therefore; putting a dent in the trust we have for them, but not totally distrusting them. We still love them, we still trust them, and we don't give up on them .


We put our trust in our cars to take us to and fro, from point A to point B, but rarely for one second do we stop to think about the next time we put the key in the ignition and turn will it start up. Until one day you get in, turn the key and nothing happens. Now we think about the oil change we were supposed to get or issue we were supposed to get fixed. So, we go to the mechanic to get it fixed with the trust that it will work again without fail.


God the creator of all sent in his own image his son Jesus so that we may be saved and have everlasting life. He came so we may live and live life more abundantly. The only requirements was to give our lives over to the Lord, confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord, Seek his kingdom and he would give us the desires of our hearts, abstain from unrighteousness and live a holy life. He asked us in so many words to Trust Him with everything we are and have. Oh that doesn't seem so hard well he is God, he is my father in heaven, of course I can trust him .


I asked a few people I know do they trust God and everyone said yes of course I trust God! One friend I'm really close with said Yes I trust God why did you ask that?

I simply replied oh I was just thinking about the word trust, but let me ask you this... what do you trust him for?

Everything she said Jesus is my everything!


So, I let off a little chuckle and she asked why are you laughing? I'm laughing because even the disciples doubted him and if we trust him for everything we wouldn't be doubting he could handle some situations that we are in today. Like my example about trusting our parents when we go to God and petition for things that we would like done, handled, given, taken away, protected from and etc. When he doesn't allow us to have what we asked for or demanded in some cases from him, we get mad. Unlike my example most times instead of continuing to trust God we kick him to the curb, even though we say we still love him. We stop going to church, stop praying, stop fasting, stop praising and worshiping. all because we expected more from God than the trust we gave to him.


Proverbs 3:5 -6 says :"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. "


I don't want to be a person who can trust him for things and can't trust in him for my everything. I can't go on another day asking him to do this for me and that for me when I can't obey his word, give him thanks for everything, follow his commandments, treat my neighbor or my brother right, everything that he TRUST me to do.


So, what do you trust him or do you only trust him when it's convenient for you


No comments: