Saturday, July 11, 2009

Finding a regimen that works for you

Hey Ladies,

When you decide to go natural it is the most exciting process ever and it's also frustrating. I love looking at all of the regimens and new products that people try in order to find that perfect product for their hair needs. Yet, I have a hair type that you don't see to many people blogging about. A lot of the more popular blogs are ran by sistahs with a looser hair type and curl pattern. I have found some sites that I follow from sistahs that are closer to my hair type which is 4a-4b, but not enough to where I feel like ok with trying what they are using.

I like to use products based on the needs of my hair & the ingredients in the product. I don't think you should run out to buy latest product just because So & So blogged about their 1st time using it. I at least want to see that person use the product for at least 2-3 weeks to see if it really works for their hair, one time doesn't get it with me. I really don't like commercial brand shampoo's because they make your hair dry with all of the SLS, mineral oil, alcohols and other stuff that is not good for your hair. I use natural soaps like Dr. Bonners or pure African black soap.

I don't use commercial hair grease or moisturizers because I just can't find a product that makes my hair feel the way I want it to. So in place of hair grease I use hair butter I personally make from shea butter and for moisturizer I use Aloe Vera Gel on wet hair when I get out of the shower seal my hair with coconut oil or the hair butter and go to work. The entire day I will not have to add any more product to my hair.

I don't use too many commercial conditioners because of the ingredients but the Silk Elements Cholesterol conditioner is my fav protein conditioner and I can't let it go even though it has mineral oil. That stuff just does wonders for my hair, when I need a protein treatment. My other fav conditioner is Avalon Naturals Lavender Nourishing conditioner. I love the smell, the lightness and the way my hair feels soft after using it. Yet, there is one down fall it attracts BEE's yeah the ones that sting you and buzz around flowers kinda bees. I was almost attacked by a bee trying to fly into my hair!!!! It thought I was a flower LOL!!!

Less is best!

There are some regimens I see that have like 9 million steps to them which is just too much and some of processes I just don't understand. For example: Co-washing why do you co-wash? I just don't get it. I tried it for the sake of trying it but I didn't notice a difference in my hair. I deep condition once a week and there is a such thing as over conditioning your hair. So, Co-washing just didn't float my boat, but some people swear by it.

Just find the right products for you ladies, use products that will benefit your hair type and learn about your hair type by following those who have hair similar to yours. I'm not saying you can't take tips from sistah's with other hair types but before you try the product make sure it's something that can work for you.


Nappturally Yours,


MoZaic

No comments: